Securing your account with two-factor authentication (2FA) is one of the most important steps when opening any cryptocurrency trading account or wallet. 2FA makes it extremely difficult for bad actors to access your account, even if your email address and passwords are compromised.
To add 2FA to your account, please follow the steps outlined below.
1. From the trading page, select the Account tab on the top left-hand side of your screen.
2. Once in the account tab, navigate to Security Centre, which is the second option under the Account & Preferences header on the left-hand side of the screen.
3. Once in Security Centre, click the Add TOTP option. If you don't have an authentication app downloaded on your mobile phone, now would be a good time to install one. We support Authy, Google Authenticator (App Store, Google Play Store), and YubiKey hardware devices.
4. A barcode (QR-code) will be generated for you to scan using your mobile device with your preferred authentication app. After you have scanned the QR-code into your preferred authentication app, please enter the security token in Two-Factor Token field and click on the Confirm TOTP button.
5. 2FA has now been successfully added to your account. You will need to enter the 2FA code every time you wish to log in to or make a withdrawal from BitMEX.